Silicon Dioxide Based Hydrophobic Nano Coating For Glass & Glazed Ceramic — UHC-GC
We have developed a special formula to coat smooth, glass-like surfaces to have less contact with dirt particles. Glass-like surfaces are normally difficult to coat because of the high hardiness. For example, the two most common chemical bonds for ceramic materials are covalent and ionic. The bonding of atoms together is much stronger in bonding than in metallic. The hydro- and oleophobic effects cause particles of contamination such as grease, oil , lime and materials from environmental pollution to adhere less to the coasted substrates, and allow them to be easily removed from coated surfaces, i.e. without applying abrasive agents (“Easy-clean” effect).
Examples Of Use:
- Glass surfaces in sanitary areas (showers, mirrors)
- Glazed ceramic surfaces (toilets, sinks, glazed tiles)
- Window glass + construction glass (conservatories, high-rise buildings)
- Automotive glass (front + side windows)
- Strong hydrophobicity
- Strong anti-stick properties
- Excellent easy–clean performance on contamination and lime-scale
- Food-safe (inert)
- Invisible to the human eye (coating thickness: 100-150 nm)
- Permanent (UV-stable, enormous abrasion-resistance)
- Temperature resistant up to 450 °C (842 °F)
- Contact angle: 105 ~ 109°
- Simple application (do-it-yourself)
- Chemical-resistant (except for pH value of 13 or 14)
Advantages of SiO2 Based Coating Solutions In Comparison With Competitive Products:
Permanence and Longevity:
- UV-stability enables functionality for a number of years, approximately the lifetime of the coated surface. You couldn’t find any other products that can protect coated surface up to 10 years!
Many competitive products are damaged slowly by sunlight
Abrasion-Resistant Easy– Clean Effect:
- a permanent chemical bond with the substrate enables excellent abrasion resistance
Many competitive products can be easily removed by abrasion
- The product is resistant to almost all standard household and industrial cleaners (with the exception of concentrated lye)
Many competitive products must be reapplied after cleaning the surface
- Attention: Chemicals with a pH value of 13 and 14 can attack the coating!
Simple do-it-yourself application makes it suitable for end-customers as well:
- Industrial: Available as polish-coat systems or spray-coating systems (5 ~ 10ml per square meter = 0.017 ~ 0.034 fl oz per foot).
- Manual: Application with circular motion using a clean paper, linen or microfibre cloth.
The nano-coating is completely networked and hardened after 24 hours. The easy-to-clean effect can only be tested after this hardening phase
Using a car windshield as an example for manual coatings.
- 1.Before applying UHC-GC products, you must make sure that the surface (here: a windshield of a car as an example) is free of all types of dirt particles. If the surface is dirty, it must be cleaned before application. After cleaning, make sure that there is no cleanser residue on the surface.
- 2.Now moisten a paper or linen microfiber cloth with UHC-GC product. Or directly spray UHC-GC product on the surface, which may save some solutions. (A piece of microfiber cloth comes with the UHC-GC product)
- 3.Immediately apply the coating to the surface with circling movements until there is no visible product residue, or polish with a dry cloth to avoid any visible product residue.
- 4.Done! The coating is stable after 10 minutes. After 24 hours, it is abrasion and chemical resistant. Hydrophobic effect can only be test after 24 hours.
- For sample solutions please wet a piece of towel paper and immediately apply coating as mentioned above.
1. How long is functionality guaranteed?
Since the coatings are UV-stable, functionality is possible over longer periods of time (beyond 10 years). Prerequisites are:
- No abrasion
- No use of strong chemicals for cleaning
This product is guaranteed for a function of 10 years.
2. How does the coating handle abrasion or chemicals?
UHC-GC is characterized by strong abrasion-and chemical-resistance.
Chemical resistance: pH value 1-12.5
Abrasion resistance on glass: after 10,000 scratch cycles = performance reduction of 10-20%.
3. What applications do you recommend?
Shower cubicles, sinks, toilets, solar panels, mirrors, windows, car windows, winter gardens…
4. Is the coating food-safe?
Yes, as confirmed by an CBA certificate
5. How fast is the coating stable after the application?
Water-resistant, abrasion and chemical resistance should first be tested after 24 hours after a post-crosslinking of the product takes place
6. Does the coating impact the visual appearance?
No! Because of the small layer thickness (100 nanometers), there is no impact on visual appearance or feel of the substrate
7. Does the coating impact the UV irradiation on solar panels?
No! Because of the small layer thickness (100 nanometers), there is no impact on UV irradiation
8. Can the coating be reapplied?
Yes, in the case of damage e.g. through permanent abrasion, it can be reapplied like an initial application
9. Can two coats be applied?
No! A 2nd coating will not adhere to the 1st coat!
10. How much is used per m²?
Industrially: 10-15 ml / m²
Manually: 5-10 ml / m²
11. What cleansers can be used to clean the substrate before application?
Any type, as long as all cleanser residue can be removed!
12. What cleansers can be used to clean the substrate after application?
We recommend pH-neutral cleansers (also those containing tenside)
13. The beading effect is not working all of the sudden!
The coating is probably dirty –Dirt particles on the coating prevent beading –Just clean and the effect will return
14. After applying to my car windshield, there is no beading effect!
Was your car washed before application? It could be that cleanser residue or silicon oil was on the windshield during coating.
In this case, a nano product cannot adhere. Workaround: Clean with an abrasive cleaner such as ceroxide and reapply
15. What are the main advantages of a nano-glass/ceramic coating compared to competitive products?
Permanence: Chemical and abrasion resistance, UV stability, low m² price (consumption is only 5-10 ml per m²!!!)
16. Streaks are visible after application by hand!
These streaks represent material excess. For this reason, we recommend polishing with a dry and clean cloth until the surface is completely dry!
17. I only noticed these streaks after 24 hours!
Just repolish the coating with a little bit of coating –until it is completely dry. This will remove the streaks
18. A glass/ceramic coating protects against what adhesion?
A glass/ceramic coating generally protects against all adhesions. It prevents permanent bonding of the contaminant on the glass surface. Coated substrates are thus easier to clean.
Attention: In the case of particularly thick contaminants, such as dried toothpaste residue in the sink, the upper layers of the toothpaste (“toothpaste on toothpaste”) must first be removed before the actual easy-to-clean effect can be detected (“toothpaste on coating”)